Data Center manager Logan building yet another screaming VPS host machine: 24 CPU cores, 128GB RAM with 8 Hard Drives running on an LSI hardware RAID controller configured with RAID 10! Suck it SSD! Blazing writes plus real redundancy! (Yep, we spend too much money on our servers. And yes, all of our host servers are configured exactly like this.)
We’ve patched every server, virtual server, and managed server on our network to protect against the Shellshock bash exploit. We’re protected.
While Shared hosting ($8.95 per month) can be great, affordable solution for starting web site or blog, a VPS (Virtual Private Server: $19.95 per month) offers significant advantages for web site owners who place a premium on speed, security and scalability.
A few advantages of VPS’s over Shared Hosting account:
- Guaranteed Speeds. A Shared Hosting account must share the CPU’s and Memory (RAM) of its server with up to 150 other web sites (other hosting companies will pack up to 300 sites on a shared server.) This is not the case with a VPS. A VPS receives guaranteed CPU and RAM so other web sites will not slow it down.
- Enhanced Security. On a shared server we have to loosen our security measures since we are protecting up to 150 other web sites. With a VPS we are able to tighten security measures because we are only protecting one web site. Its the difference between protecting one person verse protecting a group of people. Its a whole lot harder to protect the group.
- Instant Scalability. With a VPS we can immediately increase the amount of visitors that it can handle to accommodate a sudden an increase in traffic. For example, when your site is linked from a popular site like CNN.com. Instant scalability is not possible with Shared Hosting as the site would actually taken offline in the event of a large spike in traffic so that it doesn’t slow down the other 150 sites on the same server.
- Unlimited site hosting. With a Shared Hosting account you can host one web site. With a VPS account you can host as many as you like without increasing your monthly cost.
- More tools for your developer. Since a VPS is your own server your developer has access to everything on the server, which makes them happier and more productive. On Shared Hosting, since its a shared server, this is not possible.
Hope this helps!
No other hosting company offers programmers AND lentils! NONE!
Our streaming services will be offline for approximately 1 hour on Monday, August 10th, beginning at 3pm MT (GMT -6) for upgrades to our streaming servers and video players. Because our customers are global this maintenance time affects the least amount of our viewers. If there is a large event that you are expecting during that time (like another Hawaii hurricane!) please let us know and we’ll reschedule.
In the coming weeks after this upgrade is complete you will have these options for your video and radio players:
- Stream recording: This service will automatically archive your live stream on our servers for later viewing (or listening in the case of our Radio streamers) and downloading, like a DVR and/or Video Security system. So you’ll be able to go back in time to see what happened yesterday, last week, or last month on your live stream. This storage option will be available for web camera streaming, live video, and radio station customers alike.
- Pre-roll Video: This will give you the ability to login to our control panel and upload a video or audio file that will run prior to your live stream. This will allow you to display ads or informational videos prior to your live stream. This service will be available for all video and radio streaming customers.
- Email a snapshot: Users will be able to click a button on your live video player to take a snapshot of the current video and email it to whomever they like with a personalized email and your company’s tag line included. Email addresses will be automatically collected and provided to you. This service will be available to web camera customers with Axis cameras only.
We haven’t finalized pricing on these services (some may be free, or some may use freemium approach, some may cost) but I can assure you that just like our existing streaming services these prices will be the best prices on the internet!
Feel free to ask questions.
Thank you for your business!
Oban, Vanessa, David, Geordie, Joel and Logan
Brownrice business is up nearly 18% in the first 5 months of 2014 across all of our services! This is very fun. Customers seem to be rejecting the volume-based providers for our smaller, more personal support approach. Having a brand-new, super green data center, great rates and ripping speeds and reliability seems to be helping as well.
2014 Highlights include:
Patched. Every single mail server, web server, shared server, virtual server, streaming server, monitoring server, and backup server on our network. Every single one. Protected.
Here is a very-short list of a few indoor cameras that we recommend. However, nearly any IP camera will work.
The price differences of IP cameras generally have to do with 1) the level of optical zoom of the camera 2) wireless capabilities or not and 3) if there is PTZ control. So feel free to go out and find one on your own. And here is a link to my post about Outdoor, all-weather, PTZ cameras.
If you haven’t seen it yet go here to read about our web camera streaming services: http://hosting.brownrice.com/web-camera-software
When your camera is purchased, installed (we’ll need access to the camera on port 80 and port 554) and online contact us and we’ll get it streaming for you so you can easily embed it on any web site!
Here is a short list of a few outdoor web cameras that we recommend. However, nearly *any* IP camera will work with our servers, so feel free to bring us your own and let us know what it is and we’ll get it to work.
The price differences generally have to do with 1) the level of optical zoom of the camera 2) the level of weather proofing and 3) the type of mount.